Saturday, November 1, 2014

Love Yorkshire Sculpture Park

Hi de hi, howzit going. Tis a warm and sunny day up here in my little corner of North Lincolnshire. Yesterday was a dry day so I took a trip to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, not far from Wakefield. It's easy to find, just off the M1 motorway at junction 38. I was last there a while ago but thought it worth another visit. Although it is free to enter the grounds and buildings, there is a car park charge. I was intending to pay this but when I saw how much it was, I changed my mind, and instead drove half a mile to a village, parked there and walked back. To park costs £2.50 for one hour, £5 for two hours, and £8 for all day. Why the big jump I thought, it's a very big park, too big to walk around and see everything in two hours. Three or four hours would be about right, and as I calculated I would be there for three hours I decided that the £8 was too much. 
Some of the outdoor sculptures have been there for a long time, so I was looking for those I hadn't seen before. Here is a spectacular piece by the artist Ursula Von Rydingsvard, called Bronze Bowl with Lace. As the winter daylight ends, the sculpture is illuminated from within giving it an ember like glow. 



There are several sculptures dotted around, some outside and some in the underground gallery. 

This owl is by Thomas Houseago. Click to see some of his other works.

This sculpture stands in the corner of a garden, and it's by Marc Quinn. Click on his name for more of his art work.


This six metre high iron tree is amazing. It stands in the Chapel courtyard, and is by artist Ai Weiwei. If you scroll down and enlarge the photo, you should be able to read about the tree and it's maker. Here is a little bit more about Ai Weiwei, taken from the Sculpture Park web site. 





I finished off with a walk around the lake. It was a smashing day out, and in the end it cost nothing apart from the petrol to get there and back.

Enjoy your weekend. Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment