Thursday, October 31, 2013

Down the pan.

In my quest to save precious tap water, I have set up my own Rainwater Harvesting Station. It is so designed so that any rain falling over this collection of plastic receptacles will automatically be contained, therefore being prevented from soaking into the ground.
My theory is that 30 days of continuous heavy rain will produce enough water to flush the downstairs toilet 50 times. If we have some heavy snowfalls this should increase the volume of collected water, as the snow will gradually melt into the containers.  
I have set myself the daily task of inspecting the above Harvesting Station, and removing any collected water to a large bucket next to the toilet bowl. Any floating debris such as leaves or twigs will be removed during this process, to minimise any blockages as it goes down the pan.

Should we have excessive rainfall over a long period of time, to avoid overflowing and losing collected water over the sides, plans will be put into action to empty the receptacles more often. To implement this plan it will be necessary to ask around the neighbourhood for any unwanted empty large plastic milk bottles, to store the excess water. If not enough bottles are found then it will be necessary to rob the bottles from the plastics collection bank in Tesco car park. On no account must any water be lost, such is the value of this precious commodity.

By my reckoning I predict that after a wet and cold winter of many weeks of heavy rainfall, I should be able to knock a full £5 off my water bill through severely limiting my use of tap water, in favour of using the free stuff which rains down on us all.

What are you doing to keep your water bill low? Will you be following my example?
Toodle pip.

PS. Thanks to Debbie, I have your address, I will be sending the bag tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment