Monday, October 28, 2013

Make your own shopping bag.

I do read all your comments and your emails, and I try and answer all your questions. If I forget please give me a nudge, because I can be absent minded sometimes. My brain is all over the place and I read something and think I will deal with that later, then I forget, and it comes back to me weeks later. Anyway, Lane asked about a pattern for making a shopping bag.
There are many different ways of making them. The blue bag in the picture, Love Free Stuff, has a gusset in it, making it like a box. There is an easier way to make one. First off you can use a plastic Bag For Life carrier bag as a pattern, which you can buy for 10p at the supermarkets. Just copy it, cut two pieces of fabric, back and front, and two handles. A bit like this. I have put some measurements in, but you can make it as big or as small as you like.  
Notes. If you are using fabric which frays, sew the two sides together the right way round first, then turn it inside out and sew round the seams again, trapping the edges inside. If you want a neat job when attaching the handles you can tuck the ends inside the top hem before you sew around it twice. Thicker fabric is best, but not too thick or your needle will struggle to go through where there are several layers. If you use lightweight fabric your bag will be a bit floppy but you will be able to fold it up into a small bundle and put it in your handbag.
Now I have a giveaway. I have cut two pieces of fabric and two handles for someone who wants to have a go at making their first bag. The edges don't fray so you will only need to sew the two pieces together once, right sides in. If anyone wants to win it, leave a comment. I will post it out to anywhere in the world. Closing date is Wednesday 3pm,. A name will be drawn out of a receptacle which I have handy at the time. This time you won't get a ready made bag, you have got to make it yourself. I'm not doing everything for you, ha ha. If you haven't got a sewing machine you could sew it by hand, but it will take you longer. Toodle pip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment