Friday, November 15, 2013

So lucky

I can't afford to throw food away, I eat everything I buy. I had a conversation the other day with someone about buy one get one free offers. They said when they get their food home, they eat one of their BOGOF's and the other is left to fester in the cupboard or fridge, and eventually gets thrown out. I asked why they didn't eat it while it was still edible and they replied, because they didn't fancy it. Well to my simple mind, that's just plain daft, so they throw money away.
I look at my food and think I am so lucky to have something to eat. We all complain about how the cost of food is going up and up, and yes it is hard to make ends meet, but there are a lot of people in the world who live in real poverty, they don't even have a roof over their heads. Looking at the pictures of the recent hurricanes puts it all into perspective. I thank my lucky stars that I have food in my cupboard and my belly will be full today.
 Using up all my food is now second nature to me. No longer am I fickle, no longer do I turn my nose up at what's on my plate. With the exception of meat and fish which I will not eat, no longer am I picky with my eating. I thank God that today I have food.
My lunch today, which I have just eaten, was a few steamed veg that I couldn't manage last night.  
This piece of Walnut bread which was as hard as a rock needed eating. I bought it cheap on a yellow sticker a week ago.

What I did was make up a 12p packet of noodles in a small pan in the normal way with water, add a shake of curry powder, half a veggie stock cube, and a splash of sesame seed oil. When it is nearly ready mix in the steamed veg. Add a drop more water if it is too dry. Serve on a plate. Chop up the bread into small bite size pieces, and put on the top. The bread will soak up the sauce. Cost at a guess  about 25p.

I check my food cupboards and fridge every day to make sure nothing is forgotten. I bought it, I paid for it, and I will eat it. I love the food I cook for myself.
Toodle pip

No comments:

Post a Comment