Thursday, March 13, 2014

First walk of the season. Bimbling around Brigg

It was good to get out today, my first proper walk of the season. I drove myself to Scawby, a village not far from junction 4 of the M180. I didn't want to spend too much time driving to the start so this is fairly local for me. I haven't seen this information board before, it looks new. 
This is the old school in Scawby, built in 1854. It is now a private home and a listed building. That means the outside has been kept pretty much the same as it was.

St Hybald's Church is one of only four, dedicated to St Hybald, a Saxon Saint. There are two rows of yew trees leading up to the front door, said to represent the twelve Apostles.
The village green has been decked out with flower beds. I think Scawby might be in direct competition with us for the Best Kept Village competition, as it is of a similar size. From what I saw today it looks pretty darn good. We will have to pull our socks up if we are going to beat them.

Just past the church is a little lane leading onto Scawby Park, through this old fashioned gate. Luckily no bull was about today. The park stretches through three fields, and has a gate like this at the other leading onto the road.

I followed the road to Scawby Brook, then into Brigg. 
Heading into the town centre, the road goes over the Old River Ancholme. Children were having fun feeding the ducks.

A pub in the High Street.

This is The Angel in the Market Place, it's a former 17th century coaching inn. Inside is a new Heritage Centre, full of fascinating facts of the history of the area. There is a bronze age raft which was found locally, which dates back to 800BC. The library is also housed in this building, and there is a function room for hire.

Thursday and Saturday are market days. It gets very busy. The building in the middle with the clock on the top is the Tourist Information Centre. I used to have a stall on this market a few years ago. It's nice working on a market when the weather is warm, but it's awful in the winter. Some of the stall holders are the same ones when I was there, you've got to have a thick skin and determination to stick at it.


This is the tea room just inside The Angel. It's a lovely warm courtyard with a tropical feel about it.

I took the road out of Brigg towards Cadney, and after going under the railway line a path splits off to the right and follows the river. A view of the power station.


When I got to Cadney Bridge I noticed how quiet it had become. I had left the drone of the motorway traffic behind. It was so peaceful. This is a pedestrian bridge, and can be used for light farm traffic.

At the bridge I did a left turn towards Cadney. I see from my map that I have been down this road before. On a sharp left hand bend I carried on straight ahead and took the footpath across the field towards the village. The farmers seem to be quite good at leaving the paths clear around here. 
Cadney Church looks very old indeed.

From Cadney I marched straight ahead towards Howsham and just past Cotswold Farm I took the footpath on the left along the edge of a field, to head back to Brigg. There was a convenient stile to place the camera on for this selfie. Ha ha, you will see that I have brought out the long baggy shorts again. They are good for a few more walks. This is the first time my legs have seen daylight since last year. Oh dear, they're as white as two bottles of milk.

I must say it was bloomin marvelous to get out again. I love roaming about with a map. I've checked the mileage on bikehike and it comes out at 14.25. I didn't rush, stopping to talk to people and take photo's. A lovely stroll in the great British countryside. There will be more.
Catch you tomorrow. Toodle pip.
PS. George is settling in very well, and they love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment