Tuesday, March 4, 2014

When she was 64

Today is a special day, my mum would have been 96 today, had she not had the heart attack which ended her life at the age of 64. I can remember the first heart attack she had a few months earlier, I was there when it happened, I rang for a doctor who came very quickly. He knew what to do and worked hard to get her heart beating again. Then the paramedics arrived in the ambulance not long after, and took over. As I looked down at my mother, her face draining of it's colour, her lips turning blue, I knew it wasn't the right time for her to go, and she didn't. Thankfully she pulled round. 
The second time a few months later, she wasn't so lucky. I wasn't there but my brother was. She didn't make it and her heart stopped forever. When I got to the age of 64, last year, I have always been mindful that I must look after myself, I must do my best to eat well and exercise. Every day I hope and pray that I will reach 65, and with a bit of luck, a few more years beyond that. Knowing that my mother died at the age I am now reminds me of how lucky I am. When I open my eyes each morning and see light, I whisper a quiet thank you. Thank you for a peaceful and comfortable sleep. Thank you for a new day. Thank you for my life. 
This morning I went for a free NHS health check, it was advertised in our North Lincolnshire Council newsletter. It seemed the right thing to do today, on my mum's birthday. I turned up and filled the form out and waited my turn. I was weighed, my height and waist measurements were recorded, then I went through to the next stage. My records came up on the computer, they showed that I had a health check a couple of years ago, and today I am not able to have a full check because it is their policy to offer them every five years. I was a bit disappointed because I wanted to compare my results today with the tests I had done before. The lady was very helpful, she suggested I look for a place which does free cholesterol checks. I didn't get the full Monty today, but she gave me some time to talk a few things over. 
I particularly need to exercise more. I admit I have been a bit slack throughout the winter, having mad bursts of physical activity as and when I feel like it, then not doing anything for a few weeks. Now the weather is improving I will feel more inclined to get stuck in. I owe it to myself, I'm not ready to go and meet mum just yet.
As promised, pics of the new denim bag. It seems the best place to photograph anything is on my kitchen floor. The light pours in through two windows, and the light grey tile pattern does not overwhelm the object. I made the two sides separately again like the last one, but this time I joined them together by hand sewing, with contrasting red cotton.  

The several layers of fabric were very thick, especially round the corners, I had to force the needle through using pliers. I am very pleased with the result.
I decided not to add more embellishments to this, I don't think it's needed.

So, what's the broccoli recipe today then. Something very simple. Tagliatelle, a third of a packet, (£1 from Tesco), steamed broccoli, gratings of cheese, drizzled with sesame seed oil. Less than ten minutes to make, and very cheap. Scoffed the lot :o))
Time to go outside for an hour while the sun is still shining. Catch you tomorrow. Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment