Monday, March 17, 2014

Have you heard the news.

Hey, I broke one of my own rules on Saturday, do not buy newspapers, read them on line. I don't know how it happened, but I found myself stopping on the way home from the Park Walk, and calling in the paper shop. It is that long since I bought a newspaper, a few years in fact, I thought I would re create the experience, just to remind myself what it feels like to choose one, open it up, and discover what's inside. 
I used to buy the Guardian, occasionally bought The Times, sometimes bought The Express, and read someone else's Telegraph after they had finished with it.
 I used to like The Guardian so I picked it up for a closer look and saw that it cost £2.50. They never print the price in bold, it's always hidden away in the top right hand corner. Bit pricey I thought, and put it back. I had a look at the Telegraph. Cost £2, and a lot heavier so more pages, and more reading, I paid my money.  
I like listening to the current affairs programmes on the radio where they do reviews of the daily papers. Broadcasting House on a Sunday morning do it, and I always want to join in, even though I never have a paper in front of me. Well now I do, so here is my review of the Daily Telegraph, Saturday's edition. There's a lot of supplements to get through, here's what caught my eye.

Amongst all the exotic holiday destinations in the Travel supplement, there is an article on London's highest hotel. For those who want to reach for the stars, all you have to do is take an elevator ride up to the 35th floor of the Shard and you will find yourself in the lobby of the Shangi-La hotel. Up there you will find 202 rooms from floor 36 to 50. It will be opening on May the 6th. The facilities sound absolutely amazing, but as you can imagine a stay there will be very pricey. They start at £450 per night, excluding breakfast. There's no way that anyone would get me to stay overnight there, even if it was a freebie. Even if the gorgeous Mr Selfridge draped himself across the four poster bed wearing nothing else but a pair of Calvin Kliene's. No Sireee, not on your Nellie would I be tempted. To take a look inside the hotel click here.

There is a really good article written by Alan Titchmarsh, the gist of it being that you don't have to be academic to succeed in life. He failed his 11 plus and went to a Secondary Modern School, just like me. From a young age he found he had an affinity with gardening, and went on to horticultural college. A quote from the article, 'My greatest sadness in our educational system is the belief that a university education is the be all and end all in life. It is not. We need skilled craftsmen and tradesmen, if we are to have a rounded, fully functioning society. We need plumbers and gardeners, hairdressers and decorators, farmers and builders, potters and painters, nurses and electricians. Each and every one of these careers is every bit as important as the bankers and lawyers, the teachers and scientists, the doctors and surgeons, the vets and actors.' Well said Mr Titchmarsh, I couldn't agree with you more. If you want to read the full article click here.

There is a ridiculous article in the Weekend supplement, Can a vegan ever be sexy? I think we better ask Jane that one. Jane, are you sexy? It goes on about how people who don't eat meat are shrivelled and sketetal. According to this you've got to be chubby to be sexy. Much of the article is the same old same old  on how it isn't healthy to eat only plant based food in your diet. Boring, I've heard it all before. Here is the article, and the bulk of the 103 comments which follow it slate the ill informed writer.

A whole supplement is dedicated to cruising, 20 pages of inspiring ocean and river voyages. I've had a flick through it and picked mine out. I leave on the 6th of January 2015, so I've got a long time to save up for my fare, £7495. I'll be away until the 28th, visiting most of Central America. The itinerary sounds divine. Ha ha,  I jest, I don't fancy cruising at all. I do however, fancy going to Liverpool on May 24th 2015, when all three of Cunnard,s ships, Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth, and Queen Victoria, will be sailing up the Mersey to dock. Now that will be a sight worth seeing. I'll mark it on the calendar.

The Retirement Living supplement seems to be all about downsizing to a smaller home. There's plenty of new build apartments to choose from. I've been on the web sites to pick one out, and I can't afford anything, so it looks if I will have to stay in my 65 year old ex council semi a bit longer. At least I can afford a reasonable standard of living here, even if it doesn't look like a show home.

I enjoyed reading the Coastal England supplement. There are so many places featured in it that I have been to. And some ideas for places to visit that I haven't been to. Lots of information about events as well.

The Your Money supplement is all about what you should be doing with your money, if you have some. Where to invest, finding a mortgage, race to save pensions from tax raid, where to find top cash Isas, buying an annuity, and buying insurance. Not much in there for those who do not have much money, nothing for Joe Average Working Class . How to get some more of it without going to work, would be useful, ha ha.

Here is an interesting little snippet from the main paper. The estranged wife of a tycoon is still waiting for her £20m divorce settlement, three months after it was awarded to her. The estranged husband is claiming he is bankrupt, she thought he had billions. This case has been going on since 2006, the lady has run up a £6m legal bill. Life can be a bitch.

That concludes my review of the Daily Telegraph, I won't be buying any more. I just haven't got time to trawl through loads of stuff just to find the bits which interest me. Just think, people who buy this every Saturday are spending £104 a year, the Guardian at £2.50 costs £130 a year. There's a lot to be said for reading the papers free in the library, or online.

No comments:

Post a Comment