Thursday, July 23, 2015

Hello Evesham

Hello. The last day of hols. I waved Lovely Grey off to work, had breakfast, and set about dismantling the tent and packing everything into the car. My plan was to break the journey up by popping into somewhere for a couple of hours or so. Cheltenham looks appealing, wonder if they have a Park and Ride. A break at Taunton Dene Services and a quick natter to Caz, then check the time. I had an idea I might pop into my nephews house near Coventry as well, but I need to time it to arrive after 4.30pm when he gets back from work. I decided I didn't have enough spare time for Cheltenham, one on the list for the future. 
Evesham looked a bit more doable. Get off the motorway at junction nine and take the scenic route through Evesham, Stratford, Warwick, Leamington Spa, and Coventry. Yep, good plan, that would give me a couple of hours at Evesham. I found a parking place in a side street with no restrictions. We went walkabout. Love this beautiful church, it's St Mary's and St Egwins Catholic Church. Love the detailed stonework and the ornate windows. 
At a main crossroads in the town is Ye Olde Red Horse pub.

This is the Almonry Museum and Heritage Centre, which was originally part of the Benedictine Abbey.


Beyond the Abbey grounds is the Abbey Park, a steep slope down to the River Avon. Rocky admiring the view from the little bridge over the lily pond. 

This is a 15th Century Merchants House in Market Square.

Here we have the Eof Statue in the Market Square. I won't go into lengthy details, but if you want to know more, please look at the Town Council web site.  Here is a better site, which shows the artist and the sculpture in the making. 


We finished our visit with a treat, a Magnum ice cream. Rocky looks intently at me as I unwrap it, he knows what's coming next, ha ha. I get the chocolate, and he gets a taste of the ice cream. Only a small taste mind you, it's too nice to share. Evesham is well worth another visit at some point in the future, I only saw a small part of it.

The traffic wasn't too bad through the towns to my nephews house, he arrived a few minutes after I did. I spent a couple of hours there, and then made another stop at my Uncles house in Burton. It was a long day, finally landed home just before midnight.

Phew, I feel like I have just done the whole lot a second time. Thanks for following our journey. I have talked Rocky into doing his own post about the trip, just need to familiarize him with the computer ;o))
Toodle pip

No comments:

Post a Comment