Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A look around South Shields.

Hiya. I've been out on the town tonight with a new friend. Julie is a member of Down the Lane forum, and lives up here in Geordie Land. She took her lunch break a bit later today so she could meet me off the train at Newcastle. I must say it was lovely having someone to say hello to when I arrived. We had a coffee and a quick natter and found we got on like a house on fire. Cats and dogs being the main topic of conversation. I jumped on the Metro to South Shields and had a look round, found somewhere to stay, and Julie came to meet me at 7.15 and we went to a pub for some nosh. People had said to me that folks were friendly in these parts, and they were dead right. We had a great night, Julie is fab fun.   
I've got a few pics here of Shields as the locals seem to call it. Some interesting architecture. I don't think this started off as an eatery and pub, it looks sort of grand.  
 I had a look in the Museum and Art Gallery. Some interesting exhibits.
 This was a bit gruesome. I didn't know what a gibbet was, you learn something new every day.

 There is a lot of building work going on along the sea front. This area is being block paved.
A stroll through the park was very pleasant, on this gloriously sunny day. People were playing on the pedalo boats, and children were riding on the miniature steam train. A perfect spot to sit and eat my cheese sandwich. I love watching people enjoying themselves.
The funfair wasn't very busy but it put me in the seaside mood. It will probably be busier at the weekends, now that the children have gone back to school. 
I walked a little way along the pier, this is the view across the mouth of the River Tyne. 
This is the new swimming baths on the sea front, not quite ready for opening yet. 
I climbed some steps up a grassy bank for a better view across the river. 
As you can see there is extensive work going on down there. They are building a new sea wall and promenade, it will be fabulous when it's done. 
Another view across to the other side, from Greens Place at the end of Baring Street. 
There is an old Roman Fort here, but it closes at 5pm so I missed it. As you can see from the sign this is the official starting place for the Coast to Coast along Hadrians Wall. 
This is my room for tonight, it is lovely, a very posh en suite. It's hot in here, but I can't open the window as it overlooks a busy road. It's quietened down a bit now though, well it has gone midnight and I am still up tapping away on the computer. Don't tell anyone, but I've just scoffed five complimentary Ferrero Rocher chocolates 
Here is the Forest Guest House. Janet and Peter who run it are very nice, and I'm looking forward to a cracking breakfast, which will set me up for a day of walking.  
I will say Goodnight. Hope I can post tomorrow night. The signal went a bit wonky here, then came back again so it was a bit of a faff to post the pics, but I got there in the end. There is such a lot to see and do here, I will have to come back again.
Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment