Sunday, April 27, 2014

Growing Old Outrageously. Book review.

I have just finished this delightful book. Hilary Linstead and Elisabeth Davies are two old school friends who unexpectedly met up again 35 years later to find that they both love travelling, and the more exotic and far flung places the better. They went on a trial holiday to Morocco to see whether they would get along together. They did, which was surprising because they are as different as chalk and cheese. Never the less that was the start of a series of wonderfully unusual holidays, and Hil and Liz have been travelling around the globe ever since. 
Among many other destinations, they have taken in Marrakech, Fez and the Atlas Mountains, Patagonia, and Istanbul. They've been on Safari in Namibia, Botswana, and the Serengeti. Been to Naples and Prague, Mull and Iona.

I really enjoyed reading about the adventures of these two crazy ladies. Miriam Margolynes says it all on the back cover, 'You'll never be the same after reading this.....It's completely original - insightful, moving and very funny, a glorious experience proving for always, that if you seize the day and have the courage, you need never grow old.' I can echo that.

I was disappointed to read quite a lot of negative reviews on a couple of web sites. Maybe I'm easily pleased, but I liked the quirkiness of it, and didn't take it too seriously. I don't think it was meant to be a serious travel book, it was about two women of a certain age having fun, which I found very entertaining.
Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment