Saturday, March 28, 2015

Scrapstore visit, and other stuff

Hello from North Lincolnshire on this blustery wet Saturday morning. I have not ventured out yet, when it blows over me and the dawg will go for a bimble around the church and back. He likes that. 
Yesterday we went to Hull Scrapstore, they were advertising an Open Day, with childrens workshops, artist studios meet the artists, and demonstrations. Worth a look and to support their efforts. Rocky is welcome there, they all make a fuss of him.
They have a yard out the back which must have been the old school playground. Plenty of space for large exhibits, it had a carnival atmosphere about it. These two played their characters amazingly well, don't they look lovely. 

Also making an appearance was The Gold Man, he didn't do much though, stood as still as a statue. Andy Train has a web site, this is one of his many jobs, he loves entertaining. Click on the link to see a short video.
How to turn a supermarket shopping trolley into a bird.

And another one. These models have been used for the Freedom Festival.

There were lots of books for sale, I picked out these three for £2. I fancy making a book, and another weaving project, and the pocket encyclopedia will come in very useful. 


Another 'pop into Tesco on the way back', got me a wholemeal loaf for 15p, yes I have the gall to walk out with just the loaf, not spending a penny more. The Spar shop gave me six eggs for 50p, a bag of salad for 50p, and a punnet of mushrooms for 35p. They will keep me going. 
Someone asked what is saag aloo, I didn't know what it was either, but with no meat and at 37p it was worth a try. It's an Indian dish of spicy potato and spinach, a perfect accompaniment to a plate of steamed veg. My kitchen ponged like a curry house for a couple of days, ha ha.  
Another plate of steamed veg last night. The last of the celeriac, cheap potatoes and broccoli, and carrots are a good price at the moment.

 I bought this little gizmo the other day, a mini processor for small quantities. I specifically wanted one for seeds and nuts. I often wondered if it is worth eating linseeds if they are going to come out the other end in exactly the same state as they went in the top. How can your body extract the goodness from them? It baffles me. As you can see this handy little gadget smashes them to bits. Now I can sprinkle it on my food, add it to fruit, porridge, to smoothies and home made veggie burgers, and the nutrients be dispersed around my body where it is needed. Makes the job much easier than bashing it in pestle and mortar. There will be more seeds going into my shopping basket from now on.

Bet you are wondering who this trucker chappie is. Dave is an avid reader of my blog, having remembered  me from the 1980's. He recollects meeting me in a transport cafe. I can't remember him as I met hundreds maybe thousands of truckers during my 32 years on the road. Of course I stuck out like a sore thumb, being the only female trucker on the park, who could forget me, ha ha. He also remembers me from the transport magazines because I often had letters printed in them, and articles written about me.  
Last night Dave sent me a text, he was delivering in my area, so a good opportunity to meet up for a chin wag while he had his break. It brought all the memories flooding back, we talked about how we both got our HGV driving licence, or first job, the types of lorries that we drove, and how things are much different now. His next drop was at Hull, then back home across the M62. It was nice meeting you Dave, and thanks for awakening my interest in trucking. You can take the woman out of trucking, but you can't take the trucking out of the woman, ha ha. 
Right, I must get on, things to do, looks like the rain has stopped. Thanks for popping in. Have a nice Saturday.
Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment