Saturday, March 14, 2015

Get togged up for your walk

Good morning, it's the weekend again. I'm excited, I have things to do. This afternoon I am going to a footie match, Scunthorpe v Sheffield. My friend tells me it should be a full house and I am looking forward to a new experience. Janet has very kindly invited me to take her hubby's seat as he has jetted off to the other side of the world. I have a new baby sitting on my driveway, the Focus is here, and boy does it look gorgeous. More about that later. 
In the meantime Ceriden sent this comment, which I will reply to here. 
When you mentioned about putting on waterproof trousers to enable you to continue with going out for a walk despite bad weather - I would appreciate any comments you might like to make re how to go out "walking when the weather is too bad to do so". Sometimes it howls an absolute gale here, but I would think it would be possible to still go out for a walk even when its raining heavily - and, to be honest, I haven't had to take that into account before I moved here and don't really have much idea whether its possible to dress in a way that you stay completely dry and comfortable no matter how bad the rain. So - all tips welcome on that.
Thanks for that  question. I don't normally go on a walk from home when it is raining, but if there is a chance it might rain while I am out I take my waterproof trousers. I wear the same jacket whatever the weather and it is waterproof. 
I don't know how I manage to get mud up to my knees, it happens when you are sloshing your way through the stuff. My trousers are not expensive, I don't believe in paying silly prices just so you can be seen in designer walking gear. Yes there is such a thing as label snobbery in the walking world, though some will say their £150 - £200 jacket or trousers are more waterproof and hard wearing than the cheaper version. My trousers cost about £15 from what I can remember, I've had them ages and they don't let water in around the nether regions. I would say if you are going to do a lot of walking in the rain it would be worth paying a bit more, but cheappies for an occasional wet walk will be fine. 
The only problem I have with mine is that I have to take my boots off to put them on mid walk, so this involves finding a sheltered spot in the corner of a field maybe, and standing on one leg in the hope I don't wobble and fall over. A big rock to sit on makes the job a bit easier. Waterproofs that open at the bottom would be better, but you've still got to slide the muddy boots through them. Maybe best to take them off anyway. 
A good pair of boots are essential for walking over rough ground. They need to be waterproof and mine are at the moment, but there will come a day when they start leaking. When this happens they get relegated to dog walking or dry weather walking. I don't clean them as often as I ought to, but a good scrub with a stiff brush and a coating of wax every so often helps to give them a longer life. Mine cost about £75, not cheap but not dear. I prefer the leather ones (sorry vegans), because they are more up to the job than those fabric fashion boots as I call them. My boots don't have to look pretty. You can pay mega prices for boots, again some prefer the designer labels and are more drawn to how they look. There are a lot of cheap walking boots on the market now, I would say if you are going to pay £15 - £25 they won't last very long. The soles will crumble and split in no time. At the other end of the scale are the £200 boots, not necessary in my opinion. With boots it's all down to how they fit.

My jacket cost about £30, I've had it a while and it serves me well. I got an XL size because that gives me the option of wearing several layers if needed. Our Trespass shop closed a few months ago but I have seen the name crop up in several larger clothes stores as a concession. That's probably a cheaper way of selling for them without the overheads of their own shop. If you are awash with money you can go for the £200 designer jackets.

Serious walkers will kit themselves out with expensive base layers. Some of them wick the sweat away from your body to leave you feeling warm and dry. I haven't yet tried any of those garments because I can't bring myself to spend the money on them. I don't mind getting sweaty and wear ordinary T shirts, sweatshirts and fleeces. I don't possess a pair of walking long johns, if the weather is a bit cold I will either put a pair of ordinary leggins on underneath a pair of lighweight joggy type bottoms, or wear thermal lined walking trousers. Again these don't cost very much, about £20 a pair.

A lot of readers seem to be living in extreme temperatures at the moment, some are freezing cold and some boiling hot. It's very difficult to get motivated when the weather conditions are not ideal for walking. I think you have to decide how important it is for you to get out, and dress accordingly. I personally don't like walking in deep snow, it is hard going, can't see the paths, can't find the way, and some of the landmarks are obliterated. I also find it tiring walking in hot sunshine. You just have to be sensible and drink a lot and use sun protection.

It's important to pace yourself, getting to know how your own body reacts to prolonged climbing up and down, and long stretches of straight flat terrain. Stop for a minute if you feel out of breath, stop if something hurts, assess the situation and decide if you can walk through it or slow your pace and shorten your walk. It's a good feeling to push yourself a bit, but not to the extent that you do damage to your body. Rain isn't going to kill you, but slipping in the mud could result in a fall and a broken leg.

Walking is the best exercise for the mind as well as the body. You don't have to walk a long way like I do, an hour round the block three times a week is better than no walking. I prefer not to get wet, but if I am caught out I just get on with it. I like walking in wind, and love the wild landscape as the trees bend sideways.

I think these days people are just too mollycoddled, they look out the window and shiver as they turn the heating up a notch. Moving about also warms you up. I see elderly people walking around our village and it makes me smile. They are out for a walk, just for the sake of walking. They are not going anywhere in particular, just walking. Two ladies from round the corner regularly walk to Normanby Park and back. I see retired people walking about because they want to keep fit. They walk in all weathers, sometimes wrapped up with scarves and hats, and good for them, they are making an effort.

So, if you have an hour to spare, and you are not knee deep in snow, put on your boots and coat, and get out and walk. Take your kids and grandkids to the park, walk the half mile to the shop and leave the car behind. Just do it, you will feel a lot better. Have a nice Saturday.
Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment