Monday, April 22, 2013

Bananary, chocolatey, nutty, ice cream

Don't laugh, I've been playing at making ice cream today. I have no idea what goes into ice cream, apart from probably milk. I love ice cream but I regard it as a treat, the only time I buy it is when I'm out and about and I have a Magnum. I dare not buy big tubs of it from the supermarket, because I know once I get it home, it won't last more than a few hours, because I would scoff the lot. I am sure it is full of calories and sugar, and all manner of stuff I shouldn't be eating. There must be a way of making a healthier option at home.
All my cooking is made up, I use what I already have, because to follow a recipe means having to go out and buy the right ingredients for it. So, the first thing I did was to chop up a banana and put it in the blender jug. Then I added some diluted evaporated milk, don't ask me how much, and what was the ratio of milk to water, it was a guess.
Next I thought I might add some chocolate. I bought this cheap bar of plain chocolate from Tesco for 30p, I thought I might add some squares to a drink of hot cocoa, to make it a bit more chocolatey. So, I need to crush a few squares to go into the icecream mix.
Here is the ideal gadget to do that. It's got blades inside, which plunge up and down on a spring when you press down on it.  
Here are a few squares crushed into crumbs.
Add it to the mix.
Then I thought it needed something else, so I crushed some mixed nuts with the gadget, and added those, and whizzed it all together. Then I shared it out between four plastic recycled pots. Put the lids on, and now they are in the freezer.  
I've just had a look, and it seems to be freezing nicely. If this works, I will have a go at making some more using different ingredients. I think I'm going to enjoy thinking up new ideas for making ice cream. I bet if you whizzed up rice pudding and added some peach slices, that would be nice. The possibilities are endless. I'll get my thinking cap on. I'll let you know how this turns out tomorrow. Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment