Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The proof of the pudding is ..................

Thank you for your comments about ice cream, some good tips there. Yes I should have possibly whipped it up a bit more, it turned out quite hard, frozen actually. Mind you I expected it to be hard, like the ice cream you have on a stick, rather than the fluffy stuff you get in a tub.
It tasted nice, but there was probably no need to put nuts in it, all that did was to make it gritty. It took a bit of stabbing with a spoon, but as I was sat outside in the sun eating it, it soon broke up and melted in my mouth. I would make it again but without the nuts, I'm not going to get into the habit of buying chocolate too often though.  
Next experiment, make some ice cream out of rice pudding and peach slices.
I used a whole tin of rice pud, and three quarters of a tin of peaches, with a little juice.
It has made five pots. It's taking a bit longer to freeze, so it won't be ready for tasting till tomorrow.
As nuts are quite expensive, I was curious as to whether it would be cheaper to buy fruit and nuts, and separate them. I wondered how the mix was divided. This bag cost 80p for 250 grms.  
About 50/50, and if I read the back of the packet first it would have told me that, ha ha. 40% peanuts, 10% almonds, 40% dark raisins, and 10% green raisins. So, 125 grms of nuts cost 40p. I also bought a 200grm packet of chopped mixed nuts for 89p. In it was peanuts, almonds, and walnuts. Oh dear, now I can't work out which is the cheapest way to buy nuts based on this finding. I need to go back to school :o) Maths was never my strong point.
I'll give you the low down on tonights dinner. I had a couple of organic swedes, reduced to 4p and 5p, so I chopped them into chunks and steamed them.
This is a made up recipe, by the way. The rest of the ingredients are, two raw mushrooms chopped, five spring onions chopped. Half a tin of chick peas mashed with a fork, a veg stock cube, a desertspoon of chopped nuts, garlic, grainy mustard, mixed herbs, and one egg. Was going to use two but it didn't need it. Mash the swede, add everything else, and mix together.
Make some round flatish cakes and put under a low grill, for ten minutes each side. They flip over easily with a spatula.
I have lettuce and potato salad in the fridge, and I added pickled onions and beetroot for a bit of variety and colour. The Value range are very good, and reasonably priced.
They were a bit like the frozen veggie burgers you can buy, only mine were very tasty and much better, and they didn't fall apart. I have enough mix for about eight more in the fridge. I could freeze them but I won't bother, I want to eat them tomorrow.
My experimental food day has kept me occupied today, as well as the other jobs I have done. Putting a net curtain up at the back door, washing all the cat litter boxes, taking Ollie and Alfie a walk, washing my hair, washing the car, paying the council tax at the post office, and doing the Dysoning. Busy little bee today.
Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment