Saturday, February 8, 2014

The poshest shopping bags in town

I think we ought to call this Soggy Saturday. We had tons of rain during the night, but luckily so far, no rain today, unlike those in the south who have had continuous rain which seems like forever. I think it's about time that the government started thinking about helping those in dire need at home, and suspend aid to the rest of the world for the time being, until things are put right here. Not going to get political, just feeling sorry for those who have lost everything here. They desperately need some help.
Anyway, moving on, more bags made, and they are getting posher. A lot of these are one off's, as there is just enough material for one bag only. These are strong enough to carry mixed items, heavy on the bottom, light on the top. They are not waterproof like plastic. Not that you would want to trudge a mile in the rain with them, they are too nice to get wet. 
The pink is actually the reverse of the fabric. I thought it was too pretty to hide so I turned one side the wrong way before sewing it together.

I took my car for a service yesterday, I am £70 lighter now. I stretched it longer than the normal 12 months because I have not done a lot of miles. I think every 15 months will suffice. 
As I was close to town I picked a few things up, did a bit of foraging around the discount stores. There was a fruit and veg stall set up outside Poundstretcher so I went to have a nosey to see what their prices were like. I thought a big net of onions was a bargain for £1, so I bought one. You can't have enough onions. I shall be eating them every day from now on. They were selling even bigger nets of carrots for £2, and they looked good quality, not broken bits. I have already got carrots bought from Tesco, so I don't need any more. If you have potatoes, carrots, and onions that's the basics for a wide range of meals. All this for around £3.
I keep my cupboards tidy and arrange the contents so I can see at a glance what I have in. When I unpack the shopping I check the receipts and mark the price on each item with a black marker pen. That keeps the price in my mind so I will notice if anything has gone up next time I shop.

Here are a few of my regular purchases. Plain yogurt, which went up to 55p for a few weeks, but is back down to 45p. Soya milk has stayed the same for ages, I notice they have changed the packaging to a square carton now. I am down to my last bottle of Sesame Oil, cost £1 from the Cash and Carry. I keep looking for more so I can stock up, but no luck. When this is gone it's gone, I wont be paying the £1.60 for a lot smaller bottle from the supermarkets, I will manage without. Fruit juice is usually two for £1 from the C & C. Sometimes it's three for £1 if it's well over the sell by date. I always read the labels on the juice, as it's bound to have a shorter shelf life than tins and packets. I also like to check where it is made, and if it's a company I have ever heard of. Sometimes they have well know brands, sometimes the labels don't have much English on them. I get the Coffee Mate from either Home Bargains or B & M, they charge the same price. I put one teaspoonful in my coffee, one carton lasts ages.

The Cash and Carry has tartar sauce in at the moment, it won't last forever so I have a few in stock. I put it on anything and everything as I like the taste. Salads, sandwiches, and steamed vegetables. Tesco own label Value, these are pretty good. I did try some cheaper peanut butter from B & M once, at 50p per jar, but it was horrible. I ate it but never again, I will stick to this one at 62p. Nice flavour, no palm oil. I like a bit of lemon curd on a slice of wholegrain bread now and again. No butter or spread, just lemon curd. 
And lastly to the tins. More Value stuff. The chick peas are not cheap in Tesco, I get them from Home Bargains or B & M, usually three tins for £1. Asian shops usually have a good deal on these if you buy a pack of 12. I put a shake of curry powder in baked beans if I fancy them a bit more spicy. I often fancy rice pudding about 8pm at night, so I put half a tin in a mug and zap it in the microwave and eat it out of the mug. Then I transfer the rest of it into the mug and put it in the fridge to eat the following day. In my opinion it's as good as the posh brands, and at 7.5p a portion it's a cheap pudding.

I'm not going anywhere for the rest of the day, lots of crafting to do. I did an hour of litter picking and dog walking this morning, (multi tasking), so now I'm staying in. The wind is getting up, and there's the possibility of rain. Whatever you are doing, have a good weekend. Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment