Wednesday, December 9, 2015

It's in the bag

Hello. Every day seems to be a race against time at the moment with only eight hours of daylight. Sewing by natural daylight is much easier on the eyes. Housework, what little I do, is easier if you can actually see that  your efforts at keeping the house clean make a difference. Tidying the garden is is much easier in daylight, ha ha. It's so much easier to say stuff it and simply sit on your bum and do nothing. Help, I NEED more daylight.
I've been busy making this bag. Normally I would run them up quickly but I wanted to make a special bag for a very good friend. After faffing about with several ideas, I finally came up with plan xyz, this one. It needed to be sturdy to carry heavy weights, the fabric is heavy duty, thankfully it went through the machine at the point where the handles are attached. I didn't have enough of the same fabric for the whole bag, so I combined two colours. I think they compliment each other very well. Although the blue looks like denim, it isn't. The panel on the front should have been something else, but I think the flower works very well. Simple but effective. 

I put a gusset in it due to the amount of stuff that will be carried in it. 

I added my own name to the bottom, because the space at the front is taken up by the recipients name.

I'm well pleased with that, the effort was worth it. I am often asked if I can make a certain style of bag. Yes, I probably could make just about any bag if I put my mind to it, but it has to be something I want to do, born from an idea in my mind. I mostly make a bag not knowing where it will end up. I hang on to it for a while, then decide who to give it to, or occasionally sell it, waiting for the right moment. I sold the patchwork bag for £5 at the Christmas fair, it was worth a lot more, but I don't do it to make money. I'm just pleased that someone is going to get it for a present.

Must go, racing against time again. Dog to go out. Catch you soon. Toodle pip

No comments:

Post a Comment