Monday, March 11, 2013

Inventive recycling

Cats are not bothered where they puke up. They don't rush outside when they feel the need, and they don't rush to the litter box to discharge their slimey mess. No, it's just anywhere they happen to be. What causes them to be sick? Bugsy has fur balls and they get jettisoned onto the carpet. Sometimes he pigs out and scoffs his food so fast that he immediately brings it back up again. Sometimes he eats grass and that emerges again quite quickly followed by some snot, often on the kitchen floor. I haven't seen the other two be sick, maybe that's because they are ladies and are more refined than a fat and lazy ginger tom, ha ha.
Garcia was in last week, he said, c'mon gimmee some food, so I did. Five minutes later he jumped up on the worktop in the kitchen and the chuffin lot came back up again, all over my plastic worktop protector mat. Yuk. Only one thing for it, chuck the whole lot in the dustbin. The mat had seen better days anyway, and was due for changing. 
The easiest thing would be to buy a new one when I was next in town. Could probably pick one up from the £1 shop, but no, my mind doesn't work like that. If I can save a pound I will. So I had a look around to see what I already had in the house, which could be adapted or modified to do the job. 
I seem to have more plastic lids than I have plastic boxes, don't know how that happened. Never mind, I now have a use for a spare lid.  
I put a piece of hardboard on the dining room table to protect it, got a stanley knife with a sharp blade, and cut the edge off the lid.  
Look at that. It makes a perfect mat, and £1 saved. I like it when I can think of other uses for things. It reduces the amount of stuff I have in my house, stops me spending money, and stops me from robbing the planet of raw materials.
Don't buy new, adapt and modify. Anybody got any more ideas for inventive recycling? Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment