Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy families

Hello. The wanderer returns I got back at 6pm tonight, after a delightful couple of days with my family. Sis is happy in her new home, it looks lovely. They downsized because they didn't want to have to tidy their massive garden every time they came back from a holiday. The new smaller bungalow is not far from the old one as they like the area, and they have enough hard standing for the caravan instead of paying for it to go into storage. Everything had to be ripped out, and refitted from scratch. She has a lovely modern kitchen and bathroom, new everything in fact. Today work is starting on taking down the old fashioned lean to conservatory and a brand new one is being built which will give them an extra room.  They made the right decision to move, even though it took them five years to sell. Well worth the wait until the buyers with the right offer came along, and they found just what they wanted in the new house.

Sis had planned a meal out with friends and family last night. to celebrate her birthday. I went to the pub for an hour and had a drink with them before they moved onto the restaurant. It was very noisy, there was a duo on, singing and playing guitars. I am not very good with noisy places, I struggle to join in conversations because I can't hear what people are saying to me, then I get fed up of shouting and give up. I didn't join them for the meal, not a fan of Indian food, so I went on to Uncle Stan's house and stayed there for the night.

This morning we went to the library to see his paintings in the exhibition. He sold five last week, all the money is going to the Air Ambulance. Here he is chatting to someone who is interested in learning how to paint. Stan is always keen to encourage people to take it up, and likes to help with advice.

It was difficult to take good photo's, because of the reflections in the glass. It didn't help that they were displayed in the foyer of the library opposite the big windows overlooking the car park. I had to take some of them at an angle to try and minimise the reflections. This one with the red dot  in the bottom corner has sold.



This portrait is amazing, such an uncanny likeness. I think John Hurt himself should buy it.

 Another colourful abstract has sold. I like this one.




Stan stands beside his self portrait. Pretty good eh!
The exhibition runs till Saturday so if you are near Burton on Trent, pop and have a look. You might catch Stan there, as he likes to sit and have a coffee and watch people's reactions to his work. He would love it if you speak to him. He is amazing, I hope I am still on the go when I am 90. 
I've had a smashing day today. After a lovely lunch cooked by Pat, I went back to the town for an hour before I set off back home. I wanted to have a look round, and see how it has changed in the seventeen years since I left there. I'll post the pics tomorrow. Toodle pip

No comments:

Post a Comment