Thursday, January 16, 2014

How to make a rag rug

Hi. There were questions on 'how to' on yesterdays post, so I thought I would stretch it over to another post today. Thank you for your comments. Linda Metcalf asks about cutting techniques to make the strips. I don't have any cutting tools, just a large pair of scissors, and a ruler. For this rug I am using plain teeshirts, if they have a logo I discard it, but if you want to use every bit of the teeshirt you can do. First I remove the band at the bottom, then using a ruler as a rough guide, I cut 5.5 inch strips. When I get to the top I remove the seams, and neckline, I don't want them in my rug, but if you are mixing the colours you could use them as the stitching won't show. I then use the remaining straight bits. A  teeshirt stretches sideways to allow for lumps and bumps. It's best if you cut your strips vertically as there is less stretch. 

My strips are 5.5 inches long and three quarters of an inch wide. You can make them shorter or longer depending if you want a more shaggy look, or a neat finish. You can make them narrower or wider, depending on the size of holes in your mesh backing, and how big your crochet hook is. If your strips are big and chunky, you will get fewer strips out of a garment, but you will need less to fill your backing. Smaller narrow strips and a finer mesh using a smaller hook will take longer to make.

A Frugal Mrs asks how to attach the strips, and JanF asks about rug hooks. I have a rug hook, but I find it easier to use a crochet hook. 
Push the hook through and out the other side.
Fold a strip in half and wrap it round the hook. Hold the two ends between thumb and index finger of left hand.

Pull it through the mesh. Still holding on to the two ends, hook them and pull them through the loop you have created.

 Tug lightly on the ends but the knot doesn't have to be tight.


I've made a little video which might help.



For the backing you can use anything that has holes in, or is a loose weave to push the hook through. It must be fairly robust and strong because you need to tug at it as you work. It should also not be biodegradable, it needs to last a lot of years.  You need to space your strips out so that they are not too sparse and the backing is visible from the front, but not too dense or your rug will be very heavy. There is no set formula for spacing, like every second hole, check as you go along.

Dreamer asks about the cut edges fraying and shedding loose threads. Teeshirts and sweatshirts don't fray, they are ideal for this. Danneke mentioned that they might be washable. If you make a large rug it would be far too heavy to put in a machine, and would take ages to dry. To get maximum life out of these rugs it's best not to use them where they are going to get dirty quickly. Not in a main thoroughfare where they are going to get trampled on by everyone who comes in and out. Hanging them over a washing line and giving them a good beating with a broom handle should be enough to keep the dust at bay.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I hope I have covered most points. If you are not sure that this is for you, try making a small cat or dog rug. Look for a hessian sack or vegetable net bags from a greengrocer, to practice on. Good luck, have fun.
Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment