Friday, July 18, 2014

Whip up a quickquilt

I've had a change today, instead of hand sewing I've been machine sewing. Wanting to use up some bits and pieces of cotton fabric. Don't want to make a big quilt, but a little quilt for cats would be nice, not for me but to give to someone else. This is the easy quick way, I've shown this once before, when I turned a piece of quick quilt into a curtain. This is the same principle. I find it easier to sew the bits onto a bigger piece one by one, rather than join them all up. 
The stripey backing piece is from an old worn out flannelette sheet, cut to a 24 inch square. I've cut two pieces to make it thicker. First choose a piece of cotton fabric, put it face down in the centre, and sew along one side. Then turn it over with right side up.

Then get a second piece, right side down, and sew along one edge. Turn it right side up.

Then do the same again on the other side. Right side down, sew, turn it right side up.

And so on.....keep adding more pieces. Pin the edges down to keep it flat. Iron if you want to.  
Add more to it and it grows bigger.

You need longer pieces so you might have to join a few shorter pieces to make a strip. Put the strip right side down and sew it on in the same way.

All done, when the patchwork reaches the outer edges time to finish it off. It doesn't matter if the edges are not 100% straight. I don't have any wadding so I have put another piece of the stripey sheet on it. The backing is is a piece of red cotton sheet. Cut it bigger and bring the excess round to the front to make the border. My quilting is not fancy, just straight lines to keep the layers together. I want to start in the centre and work my way towards the outer edge, but Bugsy has decided that the sun is too hot in the windowsill and he wants to lie on the table for a few minutes. Come on Bugsy, you are in the way. I get him to move by offering a tasty piece of chicken.

All finished, doesn't take long to run one of these up. A mat for a cat. Five layers thick and washable. It can be put in a cat bed, a box or basket, or can be put on a chair if you want to keep the chair free of cat hairs. Janet has seven cats, I'm sure she will find a place for it. 
Here is another snippet of the picture I am creating, it's on the back of a piece of upholstery fabric. Long way to go yet, will show more as I add to it.
I feel a bit peckish, time to make my dinner. Won't be anything fancy, can't be bothered to cook.
Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment