Thursday, June 25, 2015

Concerns

Hello. Is anyone else beginning to feel fearful about their own personal security, because I am. It's not like me at all. I'm confident enough to go on long walks by myself, albeit in this country. I have lost the desire to set foot on foreign soil where I won't understand their language, their culture and customs, and the mindset of people who may not have the same values as I have.

I feel safe here, the familiar surroundings of the countryside fill me with a sense of peace and happiness. My eyes feast on the beauty of nature as I wander. I have the freedom to walk out of my front door, drive, get on a bus, or walk to wherever I want to go within our green and pleasant land.

I used to be quite adventurous. Been to Russia, the USA, Canada, Germany, Spain, Italy, on holiday. Been on lots of roller coasters in the USA. Had a helicopter ride from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon. Driven a truck to Holland and Germany several times, quite proud that I did that. Not such big adventures as some people have, but enough for me to get a little bit excited about life.

Everything has a risk to it. I don't feel safe flying any more, although that's daft, because it is still safe. I don't want to do anything which might cause me some anxiety, and I know flying will so I have chosen to remove it from my life. I now prefer to take the soft option of sticking within my comfort zone.

But times are a changing and I am now fearful that my own comfort zone is going to be taken away from me in the not too distant future, and I won't be able to do anything about it. OK, I'll get to the point, I am feeling vulnerable when I read that 350 stowaways were turfed off trucks at Calais in a four hour period. The French government say they can't stop migrant chaos. British lorry drivers are furious because they are sitting ducks and no one will help them. They are being attacked in their cabs by people desperate to enter the UK. All headlines this morning in the press.

I am scared that a lot are getting through. If they are willing to commit crimes to get here, what kind of crimes will they commit once they are here. And where will they go. The sheer numbers congregating on the other side of the channel should be a cause for serious concern.

I am now questioning how secure am I in my own home. I get on with my day to day life, making the most of my freedom, and being grateful for every day I am given. But how much longer can it go on. I am trying not to worry about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment