Saturday, June 6, 2015

Don't get in a flap.....make flapjacks

Hello. It's been a dry and sunny day here today, even though it was a bit windy. I ran up a couple of shopping bags after breakfast, this fabric came from the Scrapstore. The colour isn't quite right on the pics, the flowers are more orangey on a brown background. 
I did a quick dash to town this morning, needed to go to the bank and pick up a few items of shopping. The Salvation Army were playing in the outdoor shopping centre. Not many of them but they were giving it their all.

I fancied having a go at making flapjacks, one of my favourite snacks. Some of them can be quite expensive to buy. I used to get them from Holland and Barrett, but changed to B & M when I found some small ones for 19p each. I don't buy them very often, I class them as a treat due to the amount of sugar in them.

So I goooglied 'Flapjacks made in a microwave', and found several sites. They are all more or less the same, basically melt the butter/marg, sugar, and golden syrup in a bowl, for one minute, add oats, and any other nuts, seeds or dried fruit you like. Stir it all together and microwave for 5 minutes. I put a chopped banana in mine. Sorry I can't tell you the quantities, I make it up. A dollop of olive spread, about two teaspoons of white sugar, give or take a few grains, and a glug of runny honey, I don't buy golden syrup.

I used the mini chopper to make the dry mix. Sultanas, cranberries, tropical fruit mix, prunes, almonds, peanuts, brazil nuts, and mixed seeds. I also put the porridge oats in with it so it was finely ground.

Mix the two together in the bowl and put it into an oblong baking pan lined with foil. Press well down with a wooden spoon. Leave it to cool and put it in the fridge. 
And there you go, ten fruity flapjacks. They are quite moist and chewy which I like, and they didn't fall apart when I cut them up. I think I could have probably got away with slightly less sugar due to the high fruit content. Yes, I will definitely be making these again, and experimenting with different ingredients.

I've had the works for dinner tonight. As you can see, plenty of veg and salad. Spinach, potatoes, carrots, radishes, cucumber, iceberg lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, and a quarter of a quiche. Yes, I did manage to eat it all, it was marvelous. 
Rocky says thank you all for your good wishes. I gave him a haircut, he was too hot in the sun yesterday. He looks a right cutie, and probably feels more comfortable now his shaggy mop has gone. 
Thanks for popping in. Got some more rambling coming up. I know, I ramble on enough here, no, I mean rambling with the legs, ha ha. Catch you later.
Toodle pip

No comments:

Post a Comment