Monday, November 12, 2012

A feast to be shared

I did something quite shocking on Friday. A small group of people stood huddled together, glancing over in my direction and muttering to each other. Did I detect disapproving looks, possibly, were some of them a little bit shocked, maybe. What on earth is she doing now, has she no shame? 
What was I doing to cause such curiosity? Why, I was dissecting all the left over sandwiches from the buffet and gathering all the meat to put into a carrier bag. Not something you would expect someone to do after a funeral, have some respect please!  
I do have respect for the animals which were killed to provide this feast. That their meat should be put to good use and not discarded into a bin to be sent to an incinerator. I have respect for Uncle who was known to be frugal, and to make the most of what he had. He would have laughed.

Of course I asked permission first before I descended on the left overs, after everyone had had their fill. The food was going to be thrown away, I cannot abide to see food wasted, even if humans don't eat it, it should be given to animals instead. I asked a member of staff at the pub for a doggy bag and she came back with a large roll of foil. Someone produced a plastic carrier bag which I proceeded to fill.

The meat was not neatly sliced like the picture above, it was huge chunks of real meat, pork and beef. A wonderful feast for cats and dogs. There was also some chicken drumsticks left, the cats will love that after I have picked the meat from the bones. And there was a little bit for me as well, a few cheese sandwiches and some vegetable quiche. Thank you that will do for my dinner later.

Do you have the bottle do do this, do you care what other people think of you, because I don't. Throwing food away when so many in the world are starving, is in my mind a criminal offence. This is not a one off for me, I have done it before and I will do it again. Next time I go to a function I must remember to take my own doggy bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment