Sunday, August 4, 2013

I'm having a bit of a waffle

Well, I've gone and done it again. Bought some cheap clothes from a car boot sale intending to cut them up, I tried them on, and they fit. I specifically went for some cotton items, for the patchwork, but there wasn't any nice colours at the right price. The Rabbit Rescue lady had her usual big pile on a plastic sheet on the ground, I had a rummage through it but no cotton, so I bought the red nightie and the purple top for 50p each. She has put her prices up, usually she is almost giving it away, but at 50p a go I limited my purchase to two pieces. Maybe she is low on stock.
I don't need a nightie, so I will cut the bottom off it and make it into a teeshirt.  
The same thing happened a few weeks ago, I bought some colourful tops to cut up, and now I'm wearing them. It is certainly a cheap way to get some new clothes. I quite like this purple top, It will be nice and snug in the winter underneath my layers.
I had a chat with my sister this morning, she rang me from her mobile, in the caravan. Last Tuesday they became homeless, of no fixed abode, so they have set up camp on a site. They finally sold their bungalow after five years of it being on the market. They have wanted to downsize for ages because they no longer want or need a big garden. Their furniture is in storage, but hopefully it won't be for long because they have found a place they want to buy, and there is no chain involved. As soon as the legal stuff has been done they will move the caravan onto the garden, and live in it while they do the house up. They were lucky to find exactly the type of place they want. I don't think I will be popping round there to paint the fence, ha ha.

Thank you all for your stories about the voluntary work you do, or have done. There was some interesting ideas there. Ceridwen asked for suggestions of what voluntary work she could create for herself. Perhaps a few of you might have some ideas. You don't necessarily have to wait for someone to ask you to do something, you might spot an opportunity where something needs doing. You could offer your services to elderly neighbours who are unable to do their own gardening. Or if someone is not very mobile who lives alone you could do their shopping for them. My friend is a volunteer for the library service. She collects the books and delivers them to people who can't get out. I think they like the company of someone calling every week to see them. Another friend ferries housebound people to and from the hospital for appointments. I like the suggestion that Alison made, helping out with canal boats and steam trains. Sounds good. The YHA are always looking for volunteers to maintain their properties and act as wardens at some of the smaller hostels. I forgot to mention that the voluntary work which takes up most of my time is writing this blog. I do it free of charge :o)

I've been thinking a lot just lately, yes I know, it screws you up, but I try and work things out in my mind. I read things and think, I don't understand that. Apparently I'm supposed to be a poor pensioner who struggles to feed and clothe myself and keep a roof over my head. I am supposed to be having such a hard time, because I can't afford all the nice things that others have. I can't afford the eating out, the boozing, the new clothes, the latest iphone, the latest anything. Life is supposed to be so awful for me because I don't have much disposable income. I can't do this and I can't do that.  Oh dear, poor little me, I'm so sad. I am so confused, why don't I feel like that?

The less I have the more liberated I feel. I don't care that I can't keep up appearances, keep up with the Joneses, can't keep up with anybody really. Does it matter that I have just got the basics, the second hand furniture, second hand clothes, and eat cheap and simple food. I save up my money if I need to buy anything and will not have any credit. My needs are simple, whatever amount of money I have coming in, I will manage on it. I will find a way. The rising cost of living might squeeze every last penny out of me, but they won't squeeze the guts out of me. If my house fell down tomorrow I would live in a caravan in a field, it would not bother me. I have done it before and I would do it again.

I try and tread lightly on this planet, for mankind is destroying it. I am proud that I won't be putting out my general waste bin tomorrow for collection, because there is nothing in it except a small bag of household waste, mainly cat food pouches, and a small bag of dirty cat litter. I have not bought anything where the packaging cannot be recycled. The plastics, cardboard, tins and glass from my food, will be collected next week. I have not bought anything new to replace something that needs throwing away. I make everything I have last longer. The hinges on my toilet seat in the bathroom have broken, I won't be replacing it. All I have to do is remove the seat rather than lift it up. A simple operation which I am now used to, and perfectly adequate for me. It will last a few more years. And I still don't feel hard done by. Oh, and by the way, I had exactly the same meal tonight as I had last night.
Toodle pip.     

No comments:

Post a Comment