Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Radio GaGa

Well after a very confusing phone call from Radio Humberside yesterday, I turned up at the Civic Centre at the arranged time, to be shown to a small studio by a very nice North Lincs Council lady. It seems the facilities in this council building are often used to link people up for interviews. It's like a mini version of a bigger studio, I sat there with headphones on, talking into a microphone to the chappie at Hull. It wasn't the usual Burnsy, it was some bloke called James who was standing in for him. 
I was ready for him with my notes in front of me. He fired off a few questions and I answered as best I could. I wasn't happy with how the interview went, and wasn't happy with what he was asking me. I remember this happening the last time I was on. I get the feeling I am being used for entertainment value, rather than making a useful contribution. It's alright being jovial and cracking jokes, up to a point, but it is a struggle to get the serious message across.
I much prefer to be in the same room as the person I am speaking to, prefer to make eye contact, picking up signals from their body language, it all helps the flow of conversation. There was far too many erm's littering my words, that was because the interview didn't go in the direction I thought it would. Why he asked me about my artwork I do not know, as it had nothing to do with the previous interview from an organiser of an event in Grimsby. My piece was supposed to tie in with what was going on there. 

You can decided for yourself, by listening to it via this link, sorry it might only be available in the UK. Move the slider across to start at 1hr 21 minutes, this is where the lady at the exhibition starts her interview. It wasn't one of my better interviews.


Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment