Friday, October 30, 2015

Successful shopping, time it right

Hello. It's looking like an indoor day today, very wet outside. I might pop out later if it stops raining, in the meantime I shall be getting on with a new craft project. 
Take a look at my empty fridge, this was the state of play yesterday, nowt left except for one portion of veg stew, a few pickled onions, half a jar of lemon curd, soya milk, and dilute fruit juice. Can't make much out of that, ha ha. I like to see an empty fridge every so often, it reminds me that I am eating everything I buy and nothing is left to fester at the back out of sight. I am a bit low on tinned food as well, though there are some things left in the freezer. But I am craving fresh veg so a yellow sticker dash is needed. 
And this is the state of play this morning, stuffed full of various shades of green. Oooh, I'm excited.

I went to Tesco at 7.15pm and came back at 9.15pm, two hours wisely invested in buying up bargains. Carol, my favourite fruit and veg lady was in charge of the reductions. She is a star. My  home made bags are brilliant, will last forever. The shopping includes twelve tins of rice pudding, might as well buy bulk at 15p a tin. They won't all get eaten at once, one per week is my ration. A bag of cat litter is £1.55, can't find cheaper at the moment, I shall keep looking. In one of the bags are eight cartons of soya milk, I see they have dropped the price to match Aldi, I will buy it then. Mind you, Tesco have discontinued  the 88p box of Value Bran Flakes, so I will have to go to Aldi for that as it's still 88p there. Rocky coming to look at what I have, he gets so excited when I return with the shopping.  
 A yellow sticker picture, 5p, 10p, nearly all with 90% off the full price.


Here is my shopping list, as copied from the till receipt. Total £24.41

Non reduced (full price)
Cat litter £1.55
Small fresh milk 45p
12 tins rice pudding £1.80
4 tins baked beans @ 24p each = 96p
4 tins spaghetti hoops @ 20p each = 80p
8 cartons soya milk @ 59p each = £4.72
Large tub Value plain yogurt 45p (same as Aldi)
Six pack flavoured yogurt £1.00
2 boxes wet cat food pouches @ £1.50 each = £3
Quiche £1  (£1.19p at Aldi)
Sultanas 84p (same price as Aldi)
Nappy bags (300) 35p. Used as dog poo bags
Porridge oats 75p (same price as Aldi)
Olive spread £1
2 cat food pouches @ 29p each = 58p (treats)
Cooked chicken £1 (treats for cats)
Cooked ham £1 (treats for cats)

Yellow stickers
Sweet potatoes 15p was £1.50
Ordinary potatoes 15p was £1.50
Pink onions 10p was £1
3 bags Brussel Sprouts @ 7p each were 69p each
Organic bananas 14p was £1.39
Turnips 16p was £1.60
Cauliflower 7p was 69p
2 bags prepared broccoli/cauliflower 10p each were £1 each 
Fine beans 20p was £2
Bag prepared sweet potato and butternut squash 10p was £1
2 packs mushrooms @ 10p each was £1 each
2 packs leafy salad @10p each was £1 each
4 packs wild rocket @ 15p each was £1.50 each
Pack prepared carrots and peas 13p was £1.25
Iceberg lettuce 5p was 49p
And I have to confess, a treat for me. Pack of 5 jaffa cookies for 50p was £1. 

I am a few items short which will come from Aldi and other places. 350grm extra mature Cheddar cheese is £1.55 at Aldi. Will stock up on bran flakes 88p. FR eggs needed but they can usually be found for 79 - 89p most places. Cat and dog food is a reasonable price at Aldi, and I usually get my nuts from there as well. A visit to the Cash and Carry on the way to town to see if they have anything new in, sometimes pick up pet food there. Non of this is urgent, have plenty to be going on with.

Someone was watching me last night on her usual perch on the window sill, as I unpacked the shopping. Mayze is partial to a slice of cooked chicken. Aint she cute, such a pretty face.  

Another successful shopping trip, lots of money saved. I'm chuffed. Keep your eyes open for a bargain or two, don't shop if you are hungry or in a hurry because you will grab anything, and probably stuff you don't need. I don't make a shopping list, it's in my head. My eating is flexible, I base my meals around what I can buy cheaply. Only rules are no meat, no fish, and I only buy sweat things as a treat and if they are reduced. I'm cutting down on my sugar intake.

Thanks for popping in. Catch you soon. Toodle pip

No comments:

Post a Comment