Sunday, May 25, 2014

A visit to Bransby, home for rescued horses.

Bransby Horses used to be called Bransby Rest Home for Horses. A bit of a mouthful so they have shortened it to Bransby Horses. It is a horse rescue place between Lincoln and Gainsborough. They take in horses, donkeys, ponies and mules, which have been ill treated and abandoned, some of them through referral from the RSPCA. Some of the animals live out the rest of their lives at Bransby, while others are found new homes, either through adoption or their fostering or 'on loan' schemes. A second centre is now open, in Herefordshire, and between them they cater for 400 rescued animals. 
Yesterday I visited Bransby, they have an open day twice a year, and I like to take my donation and have a look around. 
The centre has greatly expanded since I started coming a few years ago. A new building and yards mean they can take in many more horses.


A new courtyard for al fresco dining. Cafe and toilet facilites are upgraded in the new facility.
I was a bit late getting there, put off leaving the house until it had stopped raining and had brightened up a bit, so I think I missed some of the demonstrations. I like this dinky little pony and trap. It came into the yard after it's trot around the arena. 
Next was to separate the two....

for a photo opportunity.

Birds of prey were on display. They must have had a heavy downpour judging by the waterlogged field. 

What a beauty.

A few pics as I wandered around.


A few horses had been brought inside to give people a chance to get up close to them. Children especially like this. 
These rescued horses look in fine condition now they have received the care and attention from a dedicated team of vets and volunteers.


Hey, that's close enough matey, I can feel your hot breath on my face. Yes, you are gorgeous. 

This is the little pony which was pulling the trap.

I'm glad the weather picked up during the day, though from my visits in previous years I know the rain does not put people off, they still come out to support their charity.
If you want to know more about Bransby Horses you can visit their web site. 

Looks like we're going to be dodging the rain for the rest of the Bank Holiday. I need to get out into the garden and plant out the courgettes and runner beans. When it rains I have a job on the computer to do. A cat has gone missing from up the road, so I will print out some 'Lost Cat' leaflets and posters, so they can be distributed. Must get on with it, the cat has been missing since Wednesday.
Toodle pip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment