Thursday, May 8, 2014

Day 8. Kirkby Stephen to Culgaith

Nearly finished but not quite. My intention today was to get as close to Penrith as I could. I even wondered if I might make it all the way, but as the day went on I realized it was just too far. So tonight I am in Culgaith, with just eight miles left to do tomorrow. 
The decision point was at Appleby, should I press on, or should I ring on ahead and book a bed I found on the internet. I had marched all morning making good time, it was dry, and I was feeling great. I was ready for stopping at 6pm when I arrived at Shepherds Croft B & B. I'm glad I did, I have a lovely room, and to have the last night in a comfortable and warm place, with my feet up watching tele is a treat. 
I said goodbye to my hostel pals this morning, they are doing the official Coast to Coast walk, and are about halfway through it. I took a photo of the hostel as I was leaving. 
Close by is another church that has been converted for a different use. This one is an art gallery.


A few pics of Kirkby Stephen.



Then on to Appleby. There is a wide tree lined street with this monument at the top of the hill, and a similar one at the bottom.


Someone has put a lot of effort into the flower display at the front of their house. 

 

I love the different coloured stone of the church, and the flowers along the edges of the path.

This is the view of the back of the church taken from the other side of the river. 
My lovely bed for tonight.

Please excuse me if I don't write any more tonight. I have walked 20 miles today. I will be going straight to Penrith Station tomorrow to get a train back home. Goodnight. Catch you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment