Monday, May 5, 2014

Day 5. Burneston to Leyburn.

Hi. I've had an easy day today, as promised. I lingered a little, sat down a few times, ate and drank a bit more, and not walked so far, only 15.85 miles. I am relaxing on a comfy bed in a very swish and lovely B & B in Leyburn. I like this town, having made many deliveries here years ago when I was driving a cement tanker. It's nice to come back and have a look around. 
After breakfast I said farewell to Keith and Lesley, they haven't got much longer here before they move on to another pub. They work for a Holding Company which takes them all over the place, when pubs are advertised for sale and are awaiting a new buyer. They take over temporarily to keep the pub open until it is handed over. I don't think they want to leave this one as they have fitted in nicely with the local community. 
Little Barney watching me leave. He is gorgeous.
Here I am arriving in Bedale. It's got a very wide main street with a cobbled parking area on both sides. There was a small Tesco store so I stocked up on food, even found some chocolate muffins on a yellow sticker, only 50p.


I had a little wander around and found that they are running old fashioned trains today. Not steam but old diesels. I rushed to the station thinking I might have a ride on one. There was one due in a couple of minutes, it costs £12 a ticket. A bit too much really, but when I asked how long was the trip, they said two hours, I thought that price is ok, but I haven't got time to sit for 2 hours on a train, so I didn't go.

Goodbye train I won't be coming this time. 
The church was open today, and there was a craft fair on in the church hall next door.

I had dawdled enough I went on my way. I need to go east but don't want to walk on the main A684 so I chose paths and some minor roads. I emerged from a footpath into Great Crakenhall village. and found a beautiful place. Lots of cottages like this.

A river running through, with a stone bridge.

And a weir.
A big Hall across the green.

And a little church.

The route I took followed the railway line and and every so often I heard the toot of the train horn as it went over the crossings. I walked along the edges of fields a lot today, and at one point I should have gone into a field of  black cows. They looked a bit too lively for my liking, charging about, so I decided to go off the designated path and walk through a farm to get to the road. I didn't want to take a chance with the cows. There was a short stretch of woodland that I had to go through as well. Steps down to a rickety stone bridge.

For those who are following me on the map my walk, today took me through Exelby, Bedale, Great Crakehall, Newton le Willows, Finghall, Harmby, and Leyburn. I did ring a place to ask for a bed, but they had an answer machine on. I could have stopped at a farm before I got to Leyburn, but I wanted to get that bit further knowing that I have about 16 miles to do tomorrow to  Hawes. No more dizzy's today, I feel fine. The feet are holding out, a little bit sore but I can put up with it. The funny thing is that when I am walking the feet don't hurt so much, but when I stop it's hard to get started again. It's easier to just keep walking.

Anyway, this is my lovely bed for tonight. I'm going to make myself a cup of hot chocolate and watch a bit of tele. The signal for my dongle is nil tonight, but luckily they have got free wifi.

I reckon I've done about 93 miles now. I'll catch you tomorrow, hopefully. Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment