Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day 5. Chesterfield to Worksop.

Hello, it's me again, the happy wanderer. Tonight I am at the Station Inn, next to the railway station, in Worksop. It's lovely to put my feet up after a hard days hiking. 20.7 miles covered today.
So how did the day start? With a hearty breakfast at the Holly House B & B, on Chatsworth Road, Chesterfield, with my hosts, Mike and Rita. Lucky I spotted the sign on the wall as I was walking along, and found this friendly place to lay my head. 
I left at 9am and walked towards the town centre, thinking I might get a few snaps as I passed through. My next plan of action was to get on the Chesterfield Canal. I spotted this long driveway to a very grand building, and asked an elderly couple walking past, what it was. 
The Town Hall stands high up overlooking the road below. 
A very impressive entrance. 
A few snaps as I walked through the shopping area. It looks a bit like Chester, with the half timbered buildings. Some of the shops were empty and the upper floors looked like they need sprucing up with a lick of paint. 


Here is the famous crooked spire, I had a quick look inside. 

I would have liked to see more of Chesterfield, but it's difficult to get round places with a big backpack on, and with sore feet. I shall have to come again, as a tourist, when I have more time. So, I got myself onto the canal, and went past Hollingwood, Staveley, Renishaw, Kilamarsh. Norwood, Kiverton Park, Shireoaks, and into Worksop. Part of the way I was walking on the Trans Pennine Trail, and the Cuckoo Way. In a couple of places the canal seemed to disappear I came across a group of school children having a lesson. all the little kiddywinks were sitting down making a drawing of a canal boat. They were having a great time. I can't remember doing anything like that when I was in junior school. 
I walked for miles along the tow path, here is a tranquil shot. 
As I approached Shirebrook, there are a lot of locks, as there are very steep steps for the boats to navigate up and down. Some of them were triple locks, three in a row. They must take some time to get through. 

Ooooh look, haven't I walked a long way, ha ha. How did I get to Rhodesia? Couldn't resist taking this photo on the outskirts of Worksop.
As I was coming through Shireoaks I asked a dog walker where I should look for a B & B. He wasn't too sure, it's amazing how many people do not know where the B & B's are in their home town. He suggested a couple of pubs on the way into town. I checked the first one out, the entrance was dirty, I poked my head round the door to look inside, didn't like what I saw, and gave it a miss, a bit scruffy. The second one didn't do B & B. He did say, try the pub next to the station, I did, so here I am. I did think I might go downstairs for a pint, but I can't seem to get my backside off this bed, ha ha.

So, I've gone over the 100 mile mark, and I am chuffed. Still more to do. Heading towards Retford tomorrow, not sure where I'll be tomorrow night. Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment