Sunday, May 19, 2013

Walking the first 13 miles of the Viking Way

Hello, I hope you are having a good Sunday. My trip to visit family yesterday was a nice change. Uncle Stan was in fine fettle, he is doing well for saying he is just approaching his 90th birthday. Auntie Pat made a lovely lunch for us, and we enjoyed catching up with all the family news. A visit to sister and her hubby was next, another chat, and a cup of coffee with them before they went off out for their dinner. I got back home about 9pm, after calling in at Tesco on the way past, and was lucky enough to get some cheap wholemeal bread for the freezer.
It's been a warm day here, very nice. It was a bit misty this morning when I met up with Tony to walk the first 13 miles of the Viking Way. He posted about his forthcoming epic 147 mile walk, on www.walkingforum.co.uk and I thought, aha, my walk was the same distance as this, and I could meet up with him at the start. So, at 8.30am we set off from the misty Humber Bridge.  
The path goes along the waters edge for while.
There is a short diversion around a farm, where it is impossible to walk next to the river. The phrase, 'happy as a pig in muck', comes to mind here.
Aren't they just fab.

It's still a bit misty across the river, as we reached South Ferriby.
At this point we crossed over the top of the main A15 trunk road, near Bonby Lodge.
I love the fragrance and colour of the oil seed rape fields, of which there were many.


My walk ended at Barnetby le Wold where I had left my car. I said farewell to my companion and wished him luck for the rest of his journey. His walk will end at Oakham in Rutland in about seven days time. I need to start planning another long walk.
Toodle pip

No comments:

Post a Comment