Monday, July 8, 2013

My guided tour of Glastonbury

It's been a scorcher here today, too hot to do any serious walking, so I met up with Kath and we had a bimble round Glastonbury. I decided to walk from the hostel, it's just over three miles away. I had to give Kath a ring, as I was a bit late due to someone giving me incorrect directions, silly man. She came out to meet me with Roobarb the dog. It was amazing, like greeting an old friend that I hadn't seen for ages. I was ready for a sit down and a cold drink when we got to the house. 
Anyway, before we look at the Glastonbury pics, here's a few I took in Street as I walked through it. In the High Street there is a huge plaque on the wall, or a murial if you like :o) It was made by the children of Brookside School, for the Millennium.

I had a look around Clarkes Village, a designer shopping outlet. and as I was walking down Farm Road I spotted a shop window which stopped me dead in my tracks. It was filled with all these wonderful brightly coloured posh shoes. I thought WOW, got to look in here. The young lady behind the counter allowed me to take photographs. She said the man who designs them lives in Brighton, where they have another shop. They also have a shop in Manchester. I can't find a web site for them, but they are called Skape, so a name to remember if you like beautiful shoes. There's no way I could wear them with my bunions, ha ha. 

Aren't they just the bees knees. I was positively drooling over them.
Bags to match as well.
Anyway, on to Glastonbury. Me and Kath walked to town, it wasn't very far. There was hanging baskets full of flowers everywhere. It all looked so pretty.
The Town Hall was nicely decorated.
Plenty of opportunity for refreshments at many of the pavement cafe's. 
Yoohoo, I can see you, Kath. This is the oldest building in Glastonbury. Kath told me that long ago they used to drive horses through the archway and out the back, when the roof of the arch was a lot higher.
There was lots of secret courtyards down narrow alleyways and passages. It was all a bit hippyfied, with all the colours of the rainbow, and the smell of incense drifted past our nostrils.  
Hello Mr Buddha. Is it a Buddha? I don't know.
A steel dragon in the corner of a secret courtyard.
The perfume inside this shop is a bit overwhelming, but, 
it has an amazing wooden door. 
A life sized statue on a plinth.
And another secret garden. When the town is very busy, there are plenty of places to hide away from the hustle and bustle of it all. 
I was enjoying my mini tour of Glastonbury, my guide had a wealth of information to share. We bought a tasty treat from a home made pie shop and sat down on the grass outside this church. It was nice to cool down in the shade of a huge tree. 

There are shops of every colour in Glastonbury, but it was difficult to get good photographs due to the reflections in the glass, and lots of people walking by.
Now who are these two old biddies larking about, honestly, some people must enjoy being a nuisance.
One of Kath's friends told us of an exhibition that we must see, so here is a snippet. Helen Stevens embroiders beautiful pictures. She was a lovely lady, and was happy to answer our questions. Her work is so intricate, the stitches are tiny and perfectly placed to create a masterpiece. If you want to look at her web site, it's here. 
Almost done now, Kath took me to see this mural before we set off back. Isn't it wonderful.
I've been gazing longingly at the Tor since I got here, it is beckoning me to climb up there. So up we will go, before I leave Glastonbury on Wednesday morning. Yipeee, it will be brill. 
I've had a perfect day, met a smashing lady that I can now call my friend. Well she was a friend before, a blogger friend, and she was just as I expected. She gave me a guided tour of the town she loves, now I understand why she loves it. It's a lovely place. Thanks Kath, you're a star.
Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment