Saturday, May 2, 2015

Mixing the colours

Hello. Although it's been a bit cold up here today in North Lincolnshire, we have managed to avoid the rain, so I have been able to get stuff done outside. I started the day with a bit of sewing, 8 till 10am, listening to Sounds of the Sixties on Radio 2. Keep adding a few more stitches to the picture. 
A couple of people mentioned the going out of date food, and asked how I was going to use it up before it went off. It's a case of checking it often, and using it in order of how quickly it is going to deteriorate. The prepared fruit in pots needs to be used within a day or it will start to go slimy and ferment. Yesterday I zapped the fresh pineapple with the stick blender and put it into ice cube trays. It is now frozen ready to add to drinks, or they could be added to a smoothie. I did another tray filled with melon, blueberries, and kiwi fruit. 
In the next couple of days the mushrooms will have to be eaten, so I'll keep checking them. The grapes are looking good so they should last a week. The tomatoes are still firm so five or six days for them. Shredded iceberg will need to be eaten in three days. Coleslaw will be ok for four days. Root vegetables last longer than leafy green ones., so the sprouts, the prepared broccoli and cauliflower will be eaten before the carrots and potatoes. I will be eating sprouts every day until they have gone.

It's a case of using your eyes to inspect the food very closely. Using your nose to sniff everything. Squeezing it, is it firm or starting to go mushy. If you eat meat though you have to be even more vigilant, there's more chance of food poisoning so keeping it at the right temperature is very important. It should be said though that regularly checking the state of your food whether it be fresh, chilled, frozen, packets, or tins, should be done on a regular basis anyway. Food should be used in rotation, in a similar way that supermarkets stock their shelves. The new goes to the back, and the old is brought forward.

Yesterday I made a veg curry using two packs of chopped prepared onions, and a bag of prepared carrots and peas. I had a portion for dinner last night, the rest I have pulverized in the food processor and portioned it out into four margarine tubs and it's gone in the freezer. It makes a thick soup which can be diluted slightly and eaten with bread, or it can be eaten with a jacket potato or a portion of rice or pasta, as it is.

Breakfast this morning was Bran Flakes, Value 88p for 750grms from Tesco. A handful of crushed seeds, grapes and strawberries, with Soya Milk 59p from Aldi. 
Dinner tonight was a plate of steamed vegetables topped with some grated cheese. My favourite.

Here is a little update on the Bespoke Summer House. My friend gave me some green paint, and some white, yesterday. The green was a bit dark so I lightened it with the white, and now I have a door of forty shades of green, ha ha. . 
I was in the High Street this morning and a man was painting his window frame, I cheekily asked if he had any paint he didn't want. He said, follow me, and we went to his workshop at the back. Four tins came my way, yippeeee.

 I fancied having a pink door, but no pink paint, then I remembered I might have some ink upstairs in the office. YAY, add it to white and you get pink.

That looks nice. What about a blue door next to it, but no blue paint. Easy, I have some small sample pots of emulsion, I found a dark blue and mixed it with some white. YAY, now I have a blue door. Looking good.

Then I was hungry, and it was trying to rain, so it was time to pack up for the day and go indoors. We'll see what tomorrow brings. There will be some dog walking, hope it doesn't rain. Hope you have a good Bank Holiday weekend.
Toodle pip.

PS, We have a lady called Judy ploughing her way through the entire blog. Judy if you get this far, I am reading your comments on the older posts, they always come to the top of my list so I get to read them all. Well done girl, stick at it, you deserve a medal.

PPS. Nice that we have a new Princess. I hope the name Diana is included somewhere in her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment