Thursday, May 21, 2015

The sewing machine cover is finished

Good morning. At last a completed project to show. I was rushing to get this finished for yesterdays post, but ran out of time. So here is my new home made sewing machine cover. I got fed up of seeing the boring white plastic one that came with the machine. It sits on my dining room table so it's always there in my face. I needed something more cheerful. 
I've still got lots of small patchwork pieces, so this was a good opportunity to use some of them up. All the squares are hand sewn together. The seams joining the three sections are machined. 
I used the original cover as a guide, and measured it with a ruler. Two pieces front and back, and one long narrow piece to go from end to end over the top.

I made up the three sections separately, with the lining, making sure they were going to fit together by pinning and checking several times. Joining them together was machined on the outside. It helps to iron them flat before sewing. The other way of doing it would be to make the outside up, then the lining, put one inside the other like a box, and stitch them together around the bottom edge. I like the way I did it better because the lining is stitched into the seams and is less floppy and loose.

I didn't make a slot in the top for the carrying handle, this is just for the house. If I take the machine anywhere I can use the plastic one which does have a slot. 

The lining is cut from a blackout curtain I got out of a skip. It was a brand new curtain still in it's wrapper. I did think about using a plain cotton fabric for the inside with a thicker piece sandwiched between the two, sort of a bit quilty, but the blackout material is quite thick and does the job perfectly without the quilting.

So, which is best? the plain plastic cover.....
or the brightly coloured version which brings a bit of sunshine into the room? 
I am very pleased with this, it's nice to get something finished, it spurs me on to get a move on with other projects. Thanks very much for popping in.
Toodle pip

No comments:

Post a Comment