Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Crafty art that costs nothing.

Hello. At last I am able to unveil my alternative hanging basket. Cue fanfare. It needs no planting up, no mucky compost, no dead heading, and no watering. 
A reminder of how it started. A chrome baskety thing that started life as a chandelier, retrieved from a skip. I stripped all the crystals from it and it was hanging in the garden for about a year, so is a little bit rusty. Not to worry.
Each flower is made individually using aluminium drinks cans and beads. I didn't count how many, but quite a lot. The frame is covered with green plastic mesh first, and the flowers attached with wire.

Inside you can see all the wire. It was a bit fiddly tying it all off because I could only put one hand in. I found the easiest way was to poke the wire through to the inside, and poke it back through again in a different place so the ends were on the outside. I then pulled them tight with pointy pliers and twisted them together, and pushed the ends back through to the inside. 



Hanging in a tree in the garden.
 In the porch against a white wall.

This is the original place I intended it for, outside the kitchen window, but now I am changing my mind. It has taken a long time to make it so I don't want to risk it getting nicked. I may put up a bracket inside the porch, which can be locked. Or I may hang it out in the back garden on dry days. It would look good inside, or outside the Summer House. I am pleased with my handiwork, it looks pretty fab. 
Talking of the Summer House, it is now on the Shed of the Year 2016 web site.
Take a look at it here. I have entered it into the Budget section. The organiser was very helpful and put the pictures on for me, I just emailed them to him. I will be tidying up the area around it and planting some flowers to make it look nice. You never know, they might want to come and film it, so I had better get it ready, just in case.

Awful weather again today. I did an extra 2 miles walk last night, taking my daily total to 5. Today I have done a 1 mile dog walk. I would like to get out later if it stops raining. Hope your walking is going well.

Dinner time, Rocky is looking at me. Yes, coming now Rocky.
Thanks for popping in.
Catch up soon. Toodle pip

No comments:

Post a Comment