Saturday, January 9, 2016

Old vests and pants have their uses

Hiya gang. I knew I would have a use for this holey flannelette bed sheet one day, and today was the day. I was looking at tea towels yesterday in town, and found some in B & M at a reasonable price, £3.99 for a pack of five. I almost put them in my basket, and then changed my mind. Surely I could make some of those, they are only squares of fabric with hemmed edges. So I had a look in my airing cupboard and found this sheet. Yep, that will do the job. 
My tea towels are in a state, they need relegating to mucky cleaning jobs like washing the floor or wiping the paintwork down or even wiping out the litter boxes after they have been washed. Before I chuck them into the outhouse I'll use this one as a guide to cut up the sheet. I started in the corner and moved it around the outside where the sheet wasn't so worn.

This is all that's left, the hole in the middle. Anyone know what to do with a spare hole?

All I had to do then was to hem around the cut edges with the machine, and bingo, I have six tea towels, plus seven cleaning cloths which will go under the sink and be used as dishcloths and window cleaning cloths.

I really don't know why people buy cloths to use for cleaning jobs around the house. What did people do years ago when microfibre cloths hadn't been invented? They cut up any old textiles that they happen to have in their cupboards and drawers which were no longer fit for purpose. I can't remember my mum ever buying dusters, we used old vests and pants, for buffing up the sideboard, and our shoes.

Hope your walking is going well, I am on track at 3 miles per day. Thanks for popping in. Catch up soon.
Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment