Sunday, January 3, 2016

Walking club notes

Hello, What a rotten day. Rain and more rain. Thank goodness I did my walk this morning, it started when I was half way round the route, so I got a bit wet. It is very tempting to take a short cut back home, but then I thought, no, I've started so I'll finish. If I cut it short I will only have to make up for it later. I see a few more people have joined us, it's nice to see so much enthusiasm, let's see if we can keep it going. A few thoughts, you don't have to go out every day, but it's better if you don't get too far behind.

You can choose your targets, 2.73 miles a day, 19.23 a week, 83.33 a month, 250 in 3 months, 500 in 6 months, 750 in 9 months. The higher the numbers the more scary it seems, but don't worry. The weather at the moment in the UK is pretty naff, but you should be able to get out and do a bit when it isn't raining. Wind and cold are no excuse for not walking, you will soon warm up. Take care if it gets icy underfoot though, keep your fingers crossed, we might be lucky and not get any snow. Members in other parts of the world might be struggling with heat, make sure you take water with you.

Listen to your body. If you feel like doing a bit extra, do it. Put a few extra miles in the bank, then if a time comes that you can't do it, you have built up a reserve. As we come into spring you might feel like doing some longer walks, a day out perhaps. This will give your total a boost. As time goes on, you will begin to feel the benefits, your legs won't ache, you will look forward to going out. If you are taken ill at any time in the next year, don't push yourself too hard, take a break if you have to. When you recover try and do short walks to build yourself back up again. Ask your doctor's advice.

If you start losing motivation at any time, tell us, we may be able to talk you through it. This is not a race, we are all winners, no matter how much we do. If you see the finishing line getting further and further away don't worry. The fact that you are taking part is the bonus. You are doing this for your health and fitness. Although we don't have a physical finishing line to cross, we will all arrive at the 31st of December at the same time, regardless of how many miles we have covered. And if anyone is struggling I will do the extra month, just so I can hold your hand.

Does anyone remember the first London Marathon? Do you remember what happened in the last few hundred yards? Two athletes had been running together for a long time, it was going to be a fight to the finishing line, but they didn't fight. They held hands and crossed together. That one act of kindness told the world that it wasn't about winning, it was about taking part.



Well this post has gone completely off topic, I started it with another idea, deleted that, then had another idea, and ended up here. Non walking club members please bear with us until we get into the challenge, I won't constantly witter on about it. I just want to make sure that we are all on board, all keen to give it a good go, and fire up some enthusiasm. Once the numbers start adding up and people start feeling fitter, it will bimble along by itself.

Hey, anyone know how to eat this chuffin ice cream, it's like a chuffin house brick. A treat I bought myself for Christmas, I haven't had my favourite Magnum for at least five months, so I thought I would get this for £1, on special offer. Good grief, I didn't expect it to be so hard, I need a power drill to break it up. It tastes nice though  :o)


Thanks for popping in. Catch up soon. Toodle pip


 

No comments:

Post a Comment