Sunday, January 20, 2013

A shaggy rug story

I've been getting on with this rug today. It's been rather dull outside so I reckon the best place to be is inside, keeping busy. I've put a few pics together here, because someone asked for a tutorial. I would have liked to do a little video about it, but with only one pair of hands, mine, it is near impossible.
First of all, cutting the pieces. I don't have any special tools to do the job, so this is my way. I've made a little template from a cereal box, it's 1 inch x 5 inches. I use it as a guide, the pieces don't have to be an exact measurement. Just move the template along the fabric as I cut.
I guess the width according to how thick the fabric is. Very thin fabric like a teeshirt, you can go to the one inch, or the thicker sweatshirts you can cut narrower, maybe half an inch.
I started off by using the latch hook, and yes, it does have the Readicut name on the handle, so it is from those rug making kits you used to buy many years ago. Go through the backing and out again, hook on a piece of fabric, about in the middle of it.  
Pull it part way through, the barb will close.
The next bit is a bit fiddly. take the two ends between finger and thumb, push hook through and wrap ends round, and pull ends through the loop you have made.
Tighten the knot up, not too much, and there it is.
Then I changed to a crochet hook. Same principal really, through the backing.
Pull a loop through with the hook.
Get hold of the two ends and wrap round hook, and pull through. The fabric is a bit stretchy so you need to pull the loop so there is enough slack that the ends will pull through it.
And there it is, one piece knotted onto the backing. You might be using some hessian which isn't so loosely woven as mine, so you might need to cut thinner strips as they might not pull through if they are too fat.
I am not following any kind of pattern, either with the colours or how far apart I peg the strands. I am working row by row, but not pegging into every hole. I am finding it is easier to keep the worked piece on the left hand side and work on the right. I can flatten the strands with my left hand as I poke the hook in with my right. You might like to work the opposite way round if you are left handed. You can work in any direction, turn the piece around to suit. I am finding it easier to work on the table rather than my knee, I can go at quite a fast pace. No need to be fussy about getting it perfect, the shaggier the better.
My backing is not a perfect square or rectangle. I am going to keep adding to it till I get somewhere near the edges. I might trim it, but I might leave it as it is. I will turn under a couple of inches to make the edges thicker and stronger as I work towards the outer edge.
I am not sure if I have cut enough pieces. I have more fabric and will cut more as I go along. Is anyone going to have a go with this? I am going to keep on with this, do a bit every day, because I don't want it hanging around for ages. Toodle pip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment