Sunday, December 2, 2012

A real pea souper

Some time ago, back in April actually, I bought a 1kg bag of frozen peas for 50p from Asda. In my haste to snaffle a bargain, I didn't notice the word 'Mushy' on the front and thought I could use them as normal, a handfull added to a pan of steamed veg, or a stew. I turned them over and read the instructions on the back of the bag. It says they need to be simmered for 30 minutes, oh bother. I'm hardly going to cook a few peas for that length of time, when the rest of the meal only takes ten minutes. So, what to do with 1kg of peas.
I know, put the whole lot in a big pan and cook them for the recommended time, add a couple of chopped onions, and some herbs and spices for flavour. Then zap them with the stick blender, and there we have it, a have a massive amount of pea soup. Well, it's a bit thicker than soup actually. It is more like the consistency of wallpaper paste.
I put some in a bowl for dinner tonight, (no I didn't eat it out of the pan), and the rest will be put into tubs and frozen to use at a later date, either as soup, or added to a stew. Anyway, checking the instructions on the back of the bag, it seems I have done it all wrong. It says do not keep the peas after the best before date, which happens to be 27th April 2012. Then it says do not re heat, which I aim to do. Also it says, we have given you these cooking instructions as a guide only. Well thank you very much then, I shall please myself how and when I will eat them, and see what happens. Will I be generating enough wind to blast me into outer space, or shall I be sat on the loo all night. We shall see, ha ha. Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment