Sunday, December 9, 2012

Making two meals out of one

It's been a right good day for drying washing, I've done the bedding and towels, sweatshirts and teeshirts, dressing gown and pants, all blowing in the wind, now dry and put away. This afternoon was a walk over Flixborough way, it was grand. In fact I had rather too many clothes on, didn't realise how warm the sun was.
I'm posting this pic of last nights dinner, yes, that's right, dinner. I had such a huge late lunch yesterday that I just couldn't face a cooked meal later on, I still felt full at 5pm. I waited till 6pm and decided I didn't need to have a dinner, a bowl of fresh fruit was plenty for me. Yum, apricot, grapes, apple, and mango, with dollops of peach yogurt on top. I always listen to my stomach, if it says it's full, then it's full.  
I've been waiting for some inspiration for my next painting project. It's frustrating when I have the materials to work with but my head is empty of ideas. This piece has been lying around outside for a couple of weeks, I've been wondering what to do with it. Oh I know some would say chuck it in the bin, but I see something more in it. An idea suddenly came to me. What can you see in it?  I've cleaned it up and now the thought processes begin. I shall probably ponder over it for a while before I actually start it, but I know in my mind what it's going to be. It's just how I get there which has to be decided.
Hey, here's a little money saving tip for you. I prepared my veg for tonights dinner, potatoes, sprouts, and leeks were all in the steamer, but what to have with them? Often I wouldn't bother adding anything else to it, a plate of veg suits me fine, but tonight I fancied something a bit extra.
I bought some £1 microwave meals from Tesco with the double up voucher offer, so they actually cost me nothing. Sometimes it's usefull to have one or two of these in the freezer, for use when it's too late to start cooking. To be honest, these single portion meals are a bit too much for me, so now what I do is...... 
Cut them in half.
Find an old microwavable tray in the cupboard.......
And put half back in the freezer.
Keep loosely to the times they state on the instructions when warming it, and add a drop of water to thin out the sauce so it doesn't dry up. Keep checking and stirring it as it warms up, when it's piping hot it's done. Very nice, an easy dinner with very little effort.
Toodle pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment